Skip to Main Content

Research Support

Researchers - information to help you make the most of our services

We’re here to support your research, whether you’re just starting out as a postgraduate student, or an established academic and researcher. Find out more about the support we offer you on this page.

How can we help you?

Our team of specialist Academic Service Librarians are here to help you with your research – details of the team, the subject areas they support and their email addresses can be found on our contact us page.

Or visit Library Chat to ask your question.


We provide free tutorials and workshops for researchers throughout the year:


You can book a one-to-one support tutorial with your Academic Support Librarian to discuss your research or get advice on searching databases or managing references – email us to book a slot.


Our specialist workshops cover topics from ‘Introduction to the Library for researchers’ to more advanced topics such as ‘Advanced literature searching’. We announce the dates of all upcoming workshops well in advance, and you can sign up for workshops through our online booking system.

If we don’t have a copy or we don’t provide online access to the book or journal article you need, we’ll try to obtain access to it for you from other libraries through our Inter-Library Loans service.

SCONUL Access may allow you to visit and borrow from other university libraries in the United Kingdom and Ireland. For further details and to check whether the scheme is operating currently, see our SCONUL Access page

Publishing discounts

We have signed up to a number of journal deals – many of which are now ‘Read and Publish’ deals which give us discounted or free Open Access publishing in some journals. The University currently does not allocate funding for the purchase of Article Processing Charges (APCs) or vouchers which discount APCs, so if you cannot find a free publication route through these deals, you may need to source funding to cover the difference.

If you wish to apply for discounted open access which could involve any form of payment, you need to complete an Open Access Research funding application form and submit this to

We are now participating in a transformative agreement with Cambridge University Press, which offers corresponding authors assocated with Birmingham Newman University open access publishing in CUP's hybrid or fully Gold journals at no cost.

The deal applies to articles accepted between 1st January 2021-31st December 2024.

The following article types are eligible under this agreement: research articles, review articles, rapid communications, brief reports, case reports.

To ensure that you have the correct affiliation you should use your Birmingham Newman University e-mail address when submitting the article.

If you need help checking eligibility to use this deal please contact

We are now part of a 'read and publish' deal with Elsevier which offers Birmingham Newman University corresponding authors open access publishing in participating hybrid journals, also know as core hybrid journals. This includes hybrid titles in the Cell Press and The Lancet journal collections. Research and review articles are covered, but some exceptions apply. You should contact if you are not sure that your article type is covered.

The deal covers articles accepted for publication between 1st January 2022-31st December 2024.

In addition Birmingham Newman University corresponding authors publishing in Elsevier's fully Gold open access journals are eligible for a 15% APC discount. It is the authors responsibility to ensure that there are funds to cover the remaining 85% of the APC cost. To do this you need to complete an Open Access Research funding application form and submit this to If funding from the University has not been approved then the article may be rejected and the author will be billed for the full cost of the APC.

If you’re not sure if a journal you want to publish in is eligible you should contact

You now have the following open access publishing routes available through the Sage journals ‘read and publish’ deal:

Hybrid journal route

It is free to publish open access in any of theHybrid publishing title. If you’re not sure if a journal you want to publish in is eligible, contact

The following conditions apply:

  • You must be the corresponding author
  • Articles entered the production system between 1st January 2020 and 31st December 2022
  • Includes these output types; original research papers, review papers, brief communications, short reports and case reports
  • Excludes these output types; articles published as part of commercially sponsored supplements, errata (which remain free to all to view), book reviews, editorials, published abstracts, call for papers, and news items

If you are not the corresponding author but are responsible for submitting your work to Sage, you must correctly identify the corresponding author and the corresponding author’s institution. If you incorrectly identify the corresponding author, then your OA request will be rejected, and Sage are not obliged to publish the article open access.

Gold journal route

You can get a 20% discount off the journal Article Processing Charge for Sage Gold OA journals. To do this you need to complete an Open Access Research funding application form and submit this to

Approval must be granted by Research, otherwise we may have to reject your request for publishing as Open Access.

If you’re not sure if a journal you want to publish in is eligible you should contact

For journals using the RightsLink platform to manage APC payments:
  • Corresponding authors should enter the following discount code JISC2020
  • For journals not using the RightsLink platform: Corresponding authors must contact to request the discount.

We have signed up to a ‘read and publish’ transformative deal with Taylor and Francis. The deal is valid from 1st January 2021 – 31st December 2023.

As subscribers we can access a capped number of free APCs to cover the cost of publishing open access in Taylor and Francis Hybrid (Open Select) journals. These APCs will be available to use across all participating institutions and will be made available on a first come first served basis.

Once the free APCs have been used up, an open access publishing fee will be payable. At this point the deal provides a 20% discount compared with the list price, but you will need to secure funding from the University before you opt to pay via this route.

You can request funding by completing the Open Access Research funding application form and submitting this to If you are successful with your funding application please contact who will arrange for the funds to be transferred to the library budget and complete the payment for the discounted APC.

The following conditions apply:

  • Only valid for Taylor and Francis Hybrid journals (Open Select)
  • Research articles only
  • Only the corresponding author can apply
  • You must use your Birmingham Newman e-mail address when completing the application with Taylor and Francis

Period: 01/01/2024-31/12/2025

Eligibility: Corresponding authors must have a current affiliation with Birmingham Newman University. You must use your University e-mail address to link your submission with the deal.

Eligible article types: Primary research and review articles

Publishing options: Unlimited publishing is available for any of Wiley’s hybrid journals (journals which have both open access and paywalled content in them).

A national fund has been agreed to cover expected APC charges for fully Open Access journals (Gold) journals, for each year of the deal. If the fund is in danger of becoming overspent, limits may be put in place which will restrict publishing in Gold titles to funded articles only. Updates on the status of the fund will be posted here.

If funding for Gold titles is restricted or the fund is exhausted then a 15% discount on APC list price will be available. In this case Birmingham Newman authors will need to ensure that the remaining 85% of the APC list price is covered. To do this you need to complete an Open Access Research funding application form and submit this to Approval must be granted by Research prior to submission otherwise the request may be rejected.

If you’re not sure if a journal you want to publish in is eligible you should contact

What to do after you have been published

Key points in Birmingham Newman's Open Access policy (pdf) are that Birmingham Newman University: 

  • favours the Green model

  • requires researchers to: 

    • inform the Pro Vice Chancellor – Research and Scholarship if your funder mandates Gold open access 

    • check that journals in which you propose to publish meet the requirements of the Research England mandate 

    • deposit your research outputs in the GuildHE repository (via the library's deposit form)

      • if they are intended / eligible for REF submission

      • no later than 3 months after acceptance for publication by your publisher

      • your own version, rather than the published version - so keep a copy for deposit

For further detail on how to deposit your research outputs, look at Depositing research outputs in Birmingham Newman’s repository.

Last reviewed: 14 February 2024

Report a problem | View current service issues