Your username will be your Birmingham Newman e-mail address ending @newman.ac.uk. To login to the request form you first need to set up a password, follow the instructions below to do this.• Register a password using the password setup form
If you get the following error screen after entering your e-mail address you should contact the library by e-mailing email@example.com
• To re-set your password enter your e-mail address in the re-set password form
• Click on 'Send'
• Check your Birmingham Newman inbox for an e-mail with an activation link. If you don't find the e-mail check your junk mailbox.
• Click on the activation link
• Choose your password - it must be at least 8 characters long, with at least 1 number and 1 capital letter
• Click on 'Submit'.
• You will get an on screen confirmation that your password has been set up
• Click 'Back to Login' to return to the login screen
• You need to tell us which module you are requesting the scan for. You can search for the module by clicking in the box ‘'Select a Course/Module’' then start to type in the code of the module. Alternatively you can scroll down the list to find the correct module.
• If your module is not listed then click “'Course/Module not in list”' and type in the module code
If there are multiple occurrences of the module i.e. September start date and February start date, or if you want to use the same scan for another module there is no need to fill out multiple forms. You should tell us the additional module codes in the 'Notes' box at the bottom of the form
• Enter the page range using either dash separators (for consecutive extracts) or comma separators (for non-consecutive ranges) or both. For example 1-20 or 1, 10, 15, 45
• If a consecutive page range moves from Roman to Arabic numerals you must split these out with a comma separator. For example consecutive range i-15 will not work. Instead it should be i-xii, 1-15
• The form will not be successfully submitted if there are spaces in the page range. For example 1 -20 will not work but 1-20 will be accepted
If you are struggling to submit the form because of an issue with the page range, enter the page range 1 in the page range box then make a note of the pages you want us to scan in the 'Notes' box at the bottom of the form.
Birmingham Newman University holds a Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA) Higher Education Scanning Licence
This sets out the conditions under which we may make digital copies of copyright material published in the UK including copies made for use on Moodle.
For each module we can scan:
1 whole chapter from a book
1 whole article from a magazine or journal issue
1 whole scene from a play
1 short story, poem or play (not exceeding 10 pages in length) from an anthology
1 whole report of a single case from a volume of judicial proceedings
1 whole paper from a set of conference proceedings
10% of the total publication (whichever is the greater)
If you ask us to scan something for you we will check that our licence allows us to scan it and if it doesn't we will let you know.
If you want to check yourself before you send us a request you can use the Copyright Licensing Agency's Check Permissions search.
We may not be able to provide scans for some titles published in the USA because our licence does not cover us to scan them. Some US-based publishers will allow us to scan from a printed copy, but only if no suitable e-book version is commercially available. We will let you know if there is a problem with your request.
We only provide scans of items which the library owns in its print collection. You can check if we own something before you submit a request by using Library Search. Here you will also find, an extensive collection of e-books as well as access to a large number of online journals.
To share content we have scanned for you with your students, you must embed the link we provide in Moodle, along with the bibliographic information for the source material.
The most effective way to do this is to add a new 'URL' resource and then:
If you have any questions about using scanned content contact firstname.lastname@example.org.